Wednesday, March 7, 2012

WACKY Wednesday


It's National Lutheran Schools Week at our school and it has our house in a tizzy.

The original intent of the week is an "annual observance [that] recognizes the contributions of Lutheran education through the Synod's 2,400 early childhood centers, elementary schools and high schools nationwide.   Synod schools and congregations are encouraged to take part in the weeklong celebration with special worship and prayer services, as well as other activities that highlight the gifts of Lutheran schools." I imagine a number of important individuals got together many, many months ago to organize and create the affairs of this annual event.  In fact, when I was teaching in Ft. Lauderdale, I recall our entire school going to another Lutheran church to partake in a large scale, Lutheran school church service.  And it's important that Lutheran schools have their day.

With that said, my kids understand absolutely nothing of that.  All they know is that for the whole week, they don't have to wear a uniform.  On Monday they got to wear a crazy hat and mismatched socks to school.  On Tuesday, they got to wear anything related to a country or a state.  I saw a lot of Red, White and Blue and some left-over Go Texan clothes (for the poor Kindergarteners who missed out on it last week - see old post).  Elijah wore his favorite Go IRISH soccer shirt, and I did see a couple of girls wearing kimonos.

Now, today is the day of all days. WACKY Wednesday.  The big kids spent forever in their closets last night trying to come up with "weird" clothes.  (Lanie misses out because she doesn't go to school on Wednesdays.) Because Lydia tends to naturally put together "unique" clothes, it wasn't a huge stretch for her, God love her.  This morning, getting dressed was a snap. No lingering. They were so proud of themselves.  Lydia with her wild braids and Elijah with his inside-out hat.  And I did overhear Elijah say, "this is the best day ever!"

Now, Lanie gets to take part in the festivities tomorrow and it's Sports Day.  Do I advise her to wear her "Texans" shirt leftover from our play-off frenzy this past fall, or do I, like a crazy mom who secretly loves this stuff as much as the kids, go searching last minute for the cute Astros gear you know I want to get her?  I guess we'll find out.

As for the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and all of their time and effort spent planning National Lutheran Schools Week, my family and I thank you, truly, from the bottom of our wacky hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment